1.09.2013

12 Soups in 12 Months











While making my turkey veggie rice soup the other night (really good on the belly or during a flare) I thought maybe I should challenge myself to something cooking-related. My favorite go-to meal during the winter is soup. Easy to digest, full of nutrients and electrolytes, and warms you to the core.  
I’ve picked 12 soups and will make one per month for the year 2013. Other than the soup I made this week (featured below) which is my own recipe, the rest are new to me. I don’t have a particular order – will just pick based on how I feel that month.
TURKEY VEGGIE RICE SOUP
PUMPKIN SOUP WITH SPICED CROUTONS
TOMATO GARLIC SOUP WITH FENNEL
PUMPKIN-GINGER SOUP
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
INDIAN CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH GARAM MASALA
EASTERN EUROPEAN BORSCHT
TWO-PEA SOUP WITH PORK
EASY TOMATO SOUP
FRENCH ONION AND BEEF SOUP
CURRIED VEGETABLE SOUP
CHICKEN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP


TURKEY VEGGIE RICE SOUP
1 turkey  carcass & meat (I froze mine from xmas until I was ready to make soup; skin is optional)
2 cups broth (chicken or veggie – your choice/preference)
4 cups water
salt
pepper
cut up veggies: carrots, onions, celery, japanese zuchinni
TBS minced garlic
TBS butter
2 cups wild rice
2 bay leaves


  1. Dice all your veggies, add to soup pot with garlic, spices and bay leaves and butter. Saute until onions are nearly transparent.
  2. Put in turkey carcass and slowly add broth and water, while bringing to a boil. Let boil for about 20 minutes then turn down to simmer for another 45 minutes (covered).
  3. Remove turkey skin, fat, bones and unwanted parts with tongs (will be hot!). Discard. Stir it all around to break apart the turkey meat that fell off the bone and carcass.
  4. Add uncooked rice and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
  5. Cool and enjoy! My soup ended up being more like a stew because the rice absorbed a lot of the water, but I like it that way. To make it soupier, just add more water to it.
Please enjoy these recipes and feel free to pass them on. Feel free to post your favorite soup recipes or what go-to foods you prefer during a flare. I can try making the dishes you post (if they are not too complex, lol) and then I will feature some on my blog (with photos and credits to you).

No comments:

Post a Comment